Director Certification is a procedure of obtaining a professional qualification pursuant to the pre-set curriculum program exhibiting a certain level of qualification for the boards' work.
Purpose and benefits:
- to raise the profesionalism of Board of Directors;
- to focus on the profesional ethics;
- to encourage board members to train and upgrade their knowledge;
- to enable individuals to position themselves professionally by obtaining qualifications for board of directors;
- to develop a suitable supply of candidates for board postions;
- to improve corporate governance standards.
Two levels of directors certification:
I. A training certificate = attendance at the training course for supervisory board members
By attending the training course, individuals exhibit their attendance at a training programme for directors. The programme has been acredited by the Ministry of Economic Development and Technology of the Republic of Slovenia.
- It is required to attend all thematic clusters at a training course, which has been acknowledged by the Ministry of Economic Development and Technology of the Republic of Slovenia;
- the training certificate is obligatory for supervisory board members who have been appointed in such bodies in SOEs managed by Slovenian Sovereign Holding;
- introduction to the function of a supervisory board member, upgrading certain skills and preparation for the exam to obtain the SDA Certificate;
- upon the completion of training, one obtains a “Training certificate for supervisory board members and board of directors”;
- entry in the register of holders of the Training Certificate for SB members.
II. SDA Certificate = exam and a renewal
With this certificate, an individual exhibits that he or she has obtained suitable knowledge to perform the function of a supervisory board member by accomplishing a test (applied examination). Such an individual undertakes to act ethically and to be a subject of renewal process (continuous education and no breach of code of ethics).
- Oral exam – verification of one’s professional competences by thematic clusters from training;
- previous attendance at that training is not obligatory;
- commitment to comply to the SDA Code of Professional Ethics (mandatory membership in SDA);
- by obtaining the SDA Certificate, one at the same time obtains the "Training certificate" for supervisory board members;
- evidence in the register of holders of the SDA Certificate and the register of holders of the Training certificate;
- invitation to attend the Meeting of certified directors (alumni club);
- SDA Certificate must be renewed every two years (lifelong learning principle);
- professional qualification is presented in cooperation with the Slovenian Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Slovenian Sovereign Holding.
With Directors Certification, SDA pursues the following policy:
- it sets the professional standards for passing the exam;
- it monitors the proficiency and quality of programmes, lecturers, committees and certification procedures;
- it issues the Training certificate for supervisory board members and the SDA Certificate, and keeps a public register of the holders of such qualifications;
- it promotes certification and the holders of both professional qualifications.